"Deya Daze 1976-1979"
Total time: 59:19
Side A: (29:42)
1) You Must Be Joking *
2) The Rapist *
3) Eat My Banana *
4) Banana Reggae *
Side B: (29:37)
1) Deya Goddess *
2) Vous Je C'est Sens Pa Pa *
3) Daevid Interviewed by Clive Williamson
4) Magick Brother *
5) Wonderland World *
Credits on cassette:
STUDIO OUTAKES FROM THE DEYA YEARS
Studio outakes and alternative versions from Daevid and Gilli's time in Deya, Spain.
* Recorded by Daevid Allen at the Bananamoon Observatory, Deya on a TEAC 4 track.
Mastered to DAT and copied in dolby B by Sound Services.
Compiled by Harry Williamson.
Cover by Jonny.
P.O. BOX 871 GLASTONBURY,
SOMERSET BA9 6FE. UK.
All songs Copyright © 1979
All rights reserved. © & P 1980
Notes & details:
- You Must Be Joking:
"Sittin In A Teashop" on Studio Rehearsal Tapes 1977 edited (no hilarious
- The Rapist :also on Obscura No. 1: Studio Rehearsal Tapes 1977 (slightly edited), as "I Am The Rapist".
- Brothasista Invocation: unlisted on tape, Gilli's poem. On Studio Rehearsal Tapes.
- Wee Bit More: another unlisted track, on Studio Rehearsal Tapes 1977 cd (a few seconds edited out).
- Eat My Banana: aka "Je Ne Fume Pas De Bananes" is NOT on Obscura No. 1: Studio Rehearsal Tapes 1977.
- Banana Reggae: on Studio Rehearsal Tapes 1977 as "Time of the Bananamoon". The intro has been cut out.
- Deya Goddess: on Mystery & History Of Planet G**G and on Studio Rehearsal Tapes 1977 (shorter coda).
- Vous Je C'est Sens Pa Pa: appears exclusively on this cassette. Chorus is from the classic Moustaki's "Milord".
- Daevid Interviewed: 1977, Happiest Time bits + "Gong Poem" (Mystery & History Of Planet G**G).
- Magick Brother: in its complete 7 min. form on BMO: Studio Rehearsal Tapes 1977 (only 2 m. on this tape).
- Wonderland World: a Deya field recording exclusive to this tape, Gilli speaks a few words and birds sing.
Final rehearsal for 1977 Gong reunion gig at
This lineup played as "Catalunatics" at the Paris Gong Reunion, May 28th 1977.
Recorded Bananamoon Observatory Studio Deya, Majorca (Spain).
These rehearsal tapes were released in 2004 as
Daevid Allen & Euterpe
Obscura No. 1: Studio Rehearsal Tapes 1977.
Daevid Allen & Euterpe:
Daevid Allen: vocals & glissando guitar
Gilli Smyth: space whisper
Pepe Milan: vocals & acoustic guitars
Juan Biblioni: vocals & acoustic guitars
Cloudhairy 'Pepe' Riba: violin, souzaphone & contrabass
Who plays drums on "The Rapist" and percussion on other tracks? This is a "perfect mystery".
With the release of Obscura No. 1: Studio Rehearsal Tapes 1977 in the Bananamoon Obscura series, most of this material is now available on cd but the unreleased and unedited tracks (including the interview) make this tape an essential collection for Gong completists.
This tape appeared for sale on G.A.S. price list 1990.
The cover has lavender inlay card, white lettering and a color rectangle stuck on front with a picture of Daevid from the same photo session as Now Is The Happiest Time Of Your Life. See picture above (a scan of my copy).
It has 1979 and 1980 dates for copyright and publishing but I couldn't find any mention of this cassette on any GAS publication or catalogue before 1990.
|GAS TAPES INDEX|
Website by Gianmaria Rizzardi 2007-2009.
Page last updated Oct 2010.