"1988 GAS Tape"
Cassette-only release (reissue)
Total time: 56:05
1) Radio Brainwave Intro/Madness (2:30)
2) P.E.M.S. Reggae - Daevid Allen (5:30)
3) South Pole (0:20)
4) Stroking the Tail of The Bird (part) - Williamson / Allen / Smyth (0:46)
5) Daevid (0:46)
6) The Happy Frog (0:57)
7) Thom Speaks for Continuance - Thom the Poet (2:48)
8) Song from the Bottom of a Well (part) - Kevin Ayres (4:15)
9) ? (2:48)
10) Tarka Music - Harry Williamson (2:27)
11) Daevid (0:29)
12) G' Day - Russell Hibbs & I.O.C.T. (Oz) (2:09)
13) Bondi Beach (1:27)
1) The Second Half (0:40)
2) Captain Capricorn (0:47)
3) Bells (1:14)
4) Draco Constellation (0:48)
5) Drone (part) (0:32)
6) Subvert the Dominent Paradign - Silly Symphony. From Ottersongs tape 'Walkabout' - Silly Symphony (1:36)
7) Drunken God (4:53)
8) F Drone (part) - Allen / Williamson (1:33)
9) Messages (2:39)
10) Monthly Energy (0:42)
11) I Feel Like Buying Something - Submarine Capt. / Water Allen / Workshops / Negotiate Allen (11:24)
12) Message (0:09)
13) Gliss (1:10)
14) Messages (0:46)
Credits on cassette:
GAS Subscibers 1988 Tape
Compiled and recorded
by Daevid Allen for GAS at the B.M.O. Australia, 1987/88.
Mastered to DAT and copied in real time with Dolby B.
P.O. BOX 871 GLASTONBURY,
SOMERSET BA9 6FE UK.
All songs Copyright © 1988
All rights reserved. © & P 1988
Notes & details:
- Radio Brainwave Intro/Madness: later on The Australian Years. Intro has a little bit from "Switch Doctor".
- P.E.M.S. Reggae - Daevid Allen: P.E.M.S. stands for personality, emotion, mind, soul. Unavailable elsewhere.
- South Pole: Daevid speaking to GAS members.
- Stroking the Tail of The Bird - Williamson / Allen / Smyth: excerpt from Stroking The Tail Of The Bird (Part 1).
- Daevid: Daevid speaking.
- The Happy Frog: this is a track ("Amphibian Chaff") from an album by Jean-Yves "Frog" Labat.
- Thom Speaks for Continuance - Thom the Poet
- Song from the Bottom of a Well (part) - Kevin Ayres: from Kevin Ayer's 1972 Whatevershebringswesing lp.
- ?: Stroking The Tail Of The Bird (Part 1 excerpt) by Allen, Smyth & Williamson followed by Daevid's message.
- Tarka Music: a mix of Phillips-Williamson's Tarka (Mov. 3), Daevid's words and "21/8" (Mother Gong's W.F.M.).
- Daevid: Daevid's greetings message to GAS members.
- G' Day - Russell Hibbs & I.O.C.T. (Oz): from Invisible Opera Company of Tibet album.
- Bondi Beach: middle part is taken from "Dream Scene" (Wonderwall Music soundtrack) by George Harrison.
- The Second Half
- Captain Capricorn: later included on Daevid Allen's The Australian Years as "Captain Capricorn Introduces...".
- Bells: the first notes of this track are heard on track 5 of Daevid Allen's The Australian Years as it fades.
- Draco Constellation: Daevid as Basil Brainwave.
- Drone (part): from "Invisible Opera Company of Tibet" intro tape. Complete on Allen's Tape Works Gas tape.
- Subvert the Dominent Paradign - Silly Symphony. From Ottersongs tape Walkabout - Silly Symphony.
- Drunken God: Allen's The Australian Years has the complete song. This tape features a slightly shorter intro.
- F Drone (part) - Allen / Williamson. From Daevid Allen's Nuclear Mystery Temple F Drone.
- Messages: middle part includes a bit from Odd Acts Event Gas tape with Lady jane singing to "O' Sole Mio".
- Monthly Energy: includes a bit from nazi WW2 speech "nicht vergessen" also on MotherGong Robot Woman 3.
- I Feel Like Buying Something - Submarine Capt.: both are early Daevid Allen collages.
- Water: on The Australian Years. Longer on this tape but mixed with collage bits (I Feel Like/Submarine Cpt.).
- Workshops: D. Allen. Daevid speaking about the Zero Workshops" over "Water".
- Negotiate: reggae version, totally different from all other versions and unavailable elsewhere.
- Message: Daevid speaking.
- Gliss: Allen playing gliss on "Moonfields" from Tarka. Also on Histories & Mysteries Of Planet Gong (revised).
- Messages: with snippets from "But It's Really Not Real" (Nexistepas) and "Mantram Chant Of You" (You coda).
You can download the long deleted 1988 GAS Tape from PlanetGong official website.
This tape for GAS members was originally
released on Ottersongs label (no catalogue number and no tracklist).
This GAS reissue has identical content and different cover.
Tracklist from cover is incorrect (as can be
seen from artwork above).
This tape was conceived as a collage of many diverse Gong Family aspects; no Gong band music here.
Website by Gianmaria Rizzardi 2007-2009.